Love, Simon


Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐


Bechdal Test: Pass


Summary:

Simon has had a very normal life, a stable family and good friends but he has one big secret, he is gay. He has kept this secret from everyone and lives in fear that one day his friends and family will find out. When another pupil at Simon's school finds out Simon's secret he is forced to go to great lengths to keep it from getting out and changing his life forever. 


Review:

Firstly, I was thrilled to see a teen blockbuster with a gay protagonist. This should have happened many years ago but progress towards equality should always be applauded. However I was also aware that this meant that there was a great deal of expectation around this film and I was concerned that it may buckle under the pressure. I am pleased to say that it was able to hold its own.

I had laughed a lot at the trailer for this film and assumed that, as with many films, all the best jokes would be in the trailer. I'm glad to say that this was not the case with this film. The various characters kept me and the rest of the audience laughing throughout the film. This helped to make the film such a joy to watch.

Despite the fact that I live in a different county and I am older than the characters in this film I found it very relatable. Everything about the film, from Simon's fears to the reactions of his friends and family, felt authentic. On several occasions I found myself crying, entirely believing in everything that happened and with a genuine hope that things would work out well for Simon. Across the globe there are so many young people who are hiding their true selves. I hope this film inspires them and helps them to embrace their true identity. The film does not sugar-coat life, it shows that homophobia does still exist in the world and not everyone behaves in the right way or necessarily says the right things. Nonetheless, it also shows that most people in the world are good and kind and completely accepting. I found this very heart-warming.

One reason that the film feels so authentic is that the characters defy stereotypes, particularly Simon. So many people around the world have an image of what they believe all gay men look like and this film shows that this is simply not the case. Many gay characters in Hollywood are two dimensional but Simon is so much more complex. Portrayals of gay characters with substance should be common place in cinema now. I am hopeful that this film is the start of something really special.

The acting is excellent across the board. I was rather nervous when I saw that Simon would be played by Nick Robinson as I thought his acting was pretty rubbish in Jurassic world. Admittedly the script was terrible, but he still wasn't performing to a very high standard. That is in stark contrast to this film. Robinson embodies the character of Simon, he is kind, funny and witty. Most importantly he is entirely believable.

Throughout the film Simon is exchanging emails with another male student at his school who is also gay. The audience and Simon do not know the identity of this individual and the film successfully keeps the audience guessing throughout the film, adding a layer of intrigue.

I think I spent most of this film either laughing or crying, but most importantly left the cinema feeling that the world was a better place than I did when I went in. This is an important film in terms of gay rights but it is more than just that. It is an excellent, good-hearted and funny film which shows the best of humanity. 


Recommend to a friend? Yes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Post

Introduction to my film review blog

Geostorm